Monday, January 19, 2015

Tough Luck

It's been a week that felt like it was a month. Pretty darn rough.

INVESTIGATORS

Alejandra and Jesus: They are a couple who we have started to teach independently, but we're planning on teaching them together this week. They are both really cool, but they aren't married. Luckily, there are collective weddings for 1 peso on 14 of February. We're just gonna push to get them married so that they can be baptized on the 28th. They're our only hope right now.

We actually have quite a bit of people that we have taught the first lesson, but never find them again, so when we start teaching them again, I'll put them on here. For now, they are the only two.

EXPERIENCES

1.) I've become the computer technician for a family. We showed up at their house and the girl there told me that her computer stopped working. I asked to see it and turned it on. It turned on, but never got anywhere, it just beeped. I had seen the problem before, because I knew it happened when something with the processor wasn't working, and I just assumed it was because the computer was dirty inside. So we bought some compressed air and I took the computer apart and blew out the dust and stuff and the computer turned back on! I was pretty happy. I felt like I was back at home again.

2.) Along with that, my companion took the compressed air, turned it upside down and then sprayed me on the arm. IT HURT SO BAD.

It honestly was one of the most painful things that had happened to me up until now, really. It left a big red circle on my arm for about 3 days. It was terrible. My companion sprayed himself too, so we're even... haha

3.) My companion is just so awesome. Let me explain a little:

So, the Branch President's wife really doesn't like me. I just don't know what I did, but she doesn't like me. I mean, she treats me fine and stuff, but she says some things right to my face and to my companions that are just WAY out of line. For example:

"Elder, you have to respect your leaders. If you don't respect your leaders, your life will be terrible."

"Hey, you need to respect your companion. If you don't respect your companion, you're never going to get married."

Just stuff like that. Really, she has no right to say any of this stuff.

So, basically, one day, she just started TEARING into me by talking to my companion. She, in essence, said this:

"Elder Rose, I can see there are a lot of things about this companionship just by watching you two. Like, I can see that you are more obedient that your companion. He doesn't want to obey, he just wants to do everything the way he wants it. I can also see that he doesn't like being on the mission, but instead just wants to have fun."

I was floored. I couldn't believe she was saying this stuff. AND I WAS 3 FEET AWAY FROM HER.

Anyway, I just took it. I didn't want to say anything, just be humble and accept that she is just some crazy lady. Then the coolest thing in the world happened:

"Hey, sister, listen, you've got it all wrong. Elder Carter is the obedient one in the companionship."

The silence was so thick it was palpable. Her face just showed utter amazement.

"What? What do you mean?"

"Seriously, sister. He's the most obedient companion I have had in a long time."

"But he goes alone with other members while he's at church!"

"The rules allow that, hermana."

"But!"

"He's even more loving than any other companion I've ever had."

At this, the sister just changed her topic and said, "YOU KNOW WHAT? I really like how you defend your companion."

At that, I just felt so relieved and I couldn't stop thanking my companion.

4.) ANother cool thing. I was talking with my companion about how I felt bad about not doing certain things, and how I just felt like I wasn't even trying on my mission, and then my comp told me this:

"Look man, you are the most charitable and humble missionary I've ever met. I've never had a companion that irons my shirt for me, and I've never had a companion that just tries to serve me. You are going to be a great father and husband, and that's the one thing I wish I could do."

It just floored me again. I couldn't believe it. And he meant it too. That really helped me out a bunch.

5.) Tender mercy time!

Back when I was in Postal, I was trying to find new people to teach for my last week, and I got a reference, contacted the guy, and taught his whole family. They were AWESOME.

I left before I could do anything more. I left the family for the next guy, and I found out later that they were baptized! That was cool.

Well, just recently one of the members of that ward talked to me and said that there was a sealing.

THE FAMILY WE FOUND WAS SEALED!

That just made me SO happy! I mean, not because I took credit for finding them, but because they got that blessing! Sealed together! Talk about a tender mercy! It was awesome!

I didn't take pictures this week because I forgot to bring my camera with me. Sorry.

Thanks for all the support you offer me. Thanks for the prayers and thanks for the emails. I love it.

Have a good week everyone. See you all later.

Elder Carter