Monday, January 27, 2014

Last Week in Postal

This is it! My final stand against the adversary in this part of the battlefield! My ultimatum of righteousness! My ace in the hole! LETS BAPTIZE DAT GENTE!

Okay, so maybe that's a little overboard, but seriously, I'm pumped for this final week. Why, you may ask? Well, let me enlighten you.

First off, the word Planched that I used is from the spanish word "Planchar" which means "to iron" or "to destroy someone's religion." On the mission, or at least, all the missionaries, use it like, "to punish" or "to destroy in a debate." So basically, when I say I got Planched by Preach My Gospel, basically that just means that Preach My Gospel destroyed me. Like, usually it follows definitive statements. For example:
In PMG there's a quote by George Albert Smith. He says that we cannot reach the Celestial Kingdom unless we share the Gospel. PMG just planched me.

Another one by Joseph Fielding Smith. He says we cannot reach the Celestial Kingdom without reading the Book of Mormon thoughtfully at least once. JFS just planched the church.

That's what it means, for all those wondering.

Okay, now, cool stuff.

1.) There was this SUPER thick fog one day. It was last Tuesday. Absolutely insane. It was so thick, you couldn't see past around 4 feet. It was so cool. Literally, you couldn't even see lights. I love fog.

2.) I was on exchanges with Elders H and C (companions of Elder M) and we were trying to get some sleep, when Elder C went to the bathroom. I woke up a bit, but then went back to sleep. Around 20 minutes later, I woke up, and Elder C was still in the bathroom. He was throwing up hardcore. Not going to describe much more because I'm pretty sure no one wants to read about throwing up.
Anyway, the next morning we gave him a blessing and then we went to the hospital, where they gave him an IV and some pills and sent him on his way. Poor guy was just dying. Looked terrible all that day. He's much better now though, so I guess it worked.

3.) I ate a starfruit! It tastes like Apples. No joke. It's super weird. I didn't take pictures though. Sorry. I kinda just enjoyed them. They were super delicious.

4.) I am starting to like spicy food. Not like, just so spicy that all of your mouth is burning, but like, a little bit of spice is really good. Don't ask me why. I just love it now... you guys should try some of my favorite sauce. It's the Sriracha (not sure how to spell it) hot sauce. Super good stuff.

5.) I finally figured out what "my best" means!

So let me explain first.

For the past few weeks I've felt very inadequate because Elder M is doing super well in his sector and knows basically everything. It's just nuts how good that little Peruvian is.

Anyway, I kinda got a little discouraged, but then I was reading in Preach My Gospel and got an answer from God.

It says if you work hard and do your BEST, you are successful. I thought that my best was where Elder M is, so I thought I wasn't working at my best. Then, I realized something:

My best is the absolute best I can do with the knowledge I have. I've learned a ton the past 6 months, and he's got a full 7 more on me. I'm doing the best I can with the knowledge I have. He's learned a lot more than me, so he can do more than I can. My best is the best that I can offer with what I know, not the best that someone ELSE is offering. I will reach that potential with time, but for now, I should just focus on doing my best right now. So that revelation has helped me a ton.

6.) I gave another talk in Sacrament meeting! Much better this time because I'm finally able to speak Spanish. I dunno how much my talk helped, but I know it was really good because there were times where I just kinda sat back and let the Spirit talk. Pretty cool actually.

7.) Later that day, we had Elder's Quorum. It consisted of
Elder Carter
Elder R

And that's it.

Great stuff. We just planned our lesson for that day in the chapel to have with an investigator that showed up.

8.) WE FINALLY GOT A GOOD WARD MISSION LEADER!

He's kinda crazy, and he is ALWAYS telling people bad stuff, like for instance, the Child of Sin thing, but at least he works. He at LEAST knows what he has to do. The other one never did anything. Returned missionary of a year and he's already dead. It was really frustrating, but whatever.

So he's a good ward mission leader, but ME VOY in one week. Oh well. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

9.) Nery hasn't gone to church at all! We have to drop his baptismal date for another month or so. He is just so close. Frustrating, but it's his choice.

That's all for this week. Hope you've all had a great one, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE! (again.)

Good luck in all your doings, and I hope you're still reading the scriptures.

See you later!

Elder Carter