Monday, December 29, 2014

Crazy Week

So much stuff happened this week that I don't really know if I'll be able to get it all written down. I'll do my best.

Investigators kinda plunged this week Brother A. didn't come to church, but we found him after and we basically told him he had to come to church next week or would be completely cast off forever. (Not that drastic, but pretty firm.)

Thanks for all of the prayers in his behalf! They worked! He didn't smoke ALL this week except for Sunday! That's a huge improvement! Thanks for the support!

Alright, so, I've got quite a bit of things I have to talk about, so get ready for a short novel.

1.) So, the day started off normal. Sunday. Get up, shower, get ready for the day, read the scriptures, then head off to go pick people up and bring them to church.

We got no one. Went by the houses, and they all said no and basically just told us they didn't want to come to church. Kinda sad.

I returned to the church VERY discouraged. I mean, we went by 5 homes and NO ONE left with us. It made me kinda sad.

As we pulled up to the church, I saw a van. It was an interesting van because it had Utah Plates.

That's interesting, I thought, Utah Plates on a van. Maybe it's a family that lives there.

The car moved in to the church, and I saw an American family. I didn't recognize any of them.

Woah. Americans. The thought of speaking English took me by surprise. I hadn't done it (at least conversation-wise) since the last video call I had with my parents.

So, as I got out of the car, the first person to say hi to me was one of the daughters.

"Hey! Good morning!"

I had no idea what I was to say to that. Honestly. My mind blanked. You know what I said?

"Erm... uh.. Buenos dias."

I'm a noob.

Anyway, I got out and told my companoin what happend with the people not coming to church and then the family came up to greet me.

They were the Jones and Fellows. Apparently they had showed up to vacation in Mexico.

I talked with them after church and we found out where they lived, and that they wanted to deliver small packages to families. So we agreed, with Jesus, the teenager that usually goes with us, excited to be able to be with gringos.

Anyway, I left thinking about that family. They were pretty cool, but then again, I hadn't actually talked with a family from the other side in about a year and a half, so maybe I was just hyping myself up just because there were other white people around.

We walked to their house and delivered the gifts, and my goodness. They were an astounding family!

It was so great to be with them! They were super nice and absolutely hliarious! They reminded me a LOT of my own family. I loved just answering all the questions they asked me, and more than really anything else, I liked the fact that they didn't care where I was in the misison, they were just happy that I was a missionary.

Anyway, we went with them back to their house and played some ping pong. And of course, since I'm just the best ping pong player in the world (except for Grandpa. I dunno how to beat that guy) I ended up winning (somehow. Maybe my praying worked.)

I took a video of that and we left, and I thought, MAN! That was just so awesome to be with them!

Later, as we were at home, planning for our whole P Day of Christmas, I realized, Hey! We can visit them on Christmas too!

So, in my call, I talked with my Mom to see if she could send a text or call them to let them know we were coming.

Unbeknownst to me, the family had been enjoying their vacation just as all families do: without cell phones. They had all been turned off.

Suddenly, one of the family members, Sister Fellows, stopped for a second. The pressing thought came in: Check your cell phone.

Since it was turned off, she went over and pressed the switch to turn it on. Wouldn't you know it, just as it booted up, a message appeared from a number in Idaho!

Turns out, she checked it RIGHT as my Mom sent the message! So we were able to go by and visit them afterwards!

It was so great! We ate American food, played cards and bingo and had a RIDICULOUSLY tough quiz. (Who in the world knows what song Greensleeves is the nickname for?) Then, we lit some Chinese Lanterns that they had so graciously saved just for the Elders. It was awesome!

They were nice enough to give us all their leftover food, and more than really anything else, they signed my book! I was so happy as I left that I nearly cried when I woke up the next day, knowing they had left.

They are a great familiy that will always be dear to me. It was by far, one of the best Christmases I've ever had.

I dunno if they're going to be able to read this or not. I hope so. But, if they are reading it, I hope to see you guys in June when I get back so you can all meet the rest of my family. It'd be super cool to spend a little more time with you as a normal guy as well.

Also, thanks for everything. It really helped us out A BUNCH. Everything. You're great people. Don't forget that.

2.) Okay, now that that one's over. Got another crazy bunch of experiences.

So, Elder F and I recently discovered a dulceria (candy shop) in our sector, so we went there to buy some candy, and wouldn't you know it, we were 2 pesos short. So, I whipped out my backpack to see if somehow, in some sort of miraculous way, I could pull out 2 pesos from my bag.

I don't put money in my backpack. Ever.

I swear that the 2 pesos I pulled from my backpack appeared there. I have no recollection of putting the money in my bag, and I surely don't remember anyone else doing it either.

It was a miracle. For candy. How cool is Heavenly Father?

3.) Okay, this next experience is even longer, but it's super cool.

We were walking down the street when an American stops me and asks me if I speak English. I replied and we started to chat a bit, where I find out he's a recent convert who comes from Missouri to live with his Mom. I helped him find out where the church is and all that, and then we said good-bye.

IMMEDIATELY we are stopped by another guy in a car who asks us if the church is nearby. He was another convert from San Diego who came down to see where the church was by his Mom's house. He was Mexican, so I spoke Spanish to him.

We said goodbye to this guy, and then we started on our way again.

We took 2 steps when all of a sudden I hear:


We were stopped AGAIN by another North American family. They came from San Diego and the dad spoke Spanish, and so did the daughter, show had recently returned from the IDAHO FALLS IDAHO MISSION around a month ago, speaking Spanish. So it was pretty cool. They invited us to dinner and we ate with them. Turns out, they know Elder Clingo (now Jacob) and I left them with a letter to give him that just basically was a bunch of dorky stuff we talked about when we were companions for a short while.

Then, they said they were coming to church on Sunday.

They came, but they made a miracle happen while they did it.

Elsewhere, on Planet Earth, Grandma and Grandpa had somehow weasled their way into Mexico without me knowing until they called me with the Zone Leaders in their van! So, they talked with me for a bit, but I did'nt think they would come to church.

Turns out, they showed up in Primo Tapia, but had no idea where the church was. They were sitting on the side of the road when a guy drives by in a shirt and tie.

It was the American Family we had met just a few days before! They followed him to the church, and there, they found me.

I got to see Grandma and Grandpa again! It was so great! I was so happy to see them and finally be able to talk with them a little about my mission.

For church, the dad from the family and the daughter and I translated what the speakers said, and everyone afterwards told me that I had an accent when I was speaking English.

All in all, it was a great week. Proibably the best week I had in Primo Tapia. Super fun.

I have a lot of pictures of us with the Jones and Fellows lighting the lanterns, of me with Grandma and Grandpa, and of a really cool sunset a few days ago. I hope you're all happy now that I have muchas fotos.

Oh yeah and I talked with my family too.

Anyway, I gotta get moving. We have to get to work again at 3.


3.) I talked with my family! That was super awesome! Apparently I talked with a snowman guy named Olaf too. Weirdos. This is why I left for college people.

Anyway, I talked with them for a while too! That was pretty cool for me. I liked talking with them so that I could answer a few questions and show off my ESpanish eskills.

Above really all else, I just felt like this week was full of miracles and mercies from the Lord. I really loved this week more than almost any other week.

Thanks for the support, I know I have a lot that I don't see or hear or know about, but thanks for it all. I'll have pictures of the package this Thursday.


So, because of New Years, they're going to let us email again, because they're going to make it all P Day just like Christmas. So anyone who wants to chat for a bit, I'll be on my email at my time . I'm going to send another email maybe answering some questions and stuff.

Holy cow this is long. But I think maybe it's worth it. It's what you're hoping for right?

Happy New Years everyone! Be safe! Don't do anything weird!

Have a time!

Elder Carter

1 comment:

  1. Hi elder carter this is grace I had lots of fun one thing I learned I s to never give up by