Monday, October 21, 2013

Hola Familia!

This week has been very hard, but I don't want to make these letters super sad, so I'll just send the fun stuff to you all.

1.) I had my first experiences translating Spanish into English for other people! During General Conference, there was a video right after the session that talked about a family that tried to do geneology more. It was all in English, so I had to translate for Elder Tunion (one of the Elders in our Zone). That was so hard. I would translate perfectly one sentence, and miss half of the next one, so I had to guess what was at the beginning based on the end, and then translate that. Just super hard.

We also have a North American named Keith Burr here. He speaks English, and his wife speaks Spanish. We had a lesson with his wife, and so we had to give it in Spanish, but Brother K doesn't understand it, so he had to just sit there bored for a few minutes. After we said the prayer, Keith asked me if I could translate. I did what I could.

I can actually do it! I can understand Spanish, even spoken very fast, and translate it to English to another person. I have become bilingual. I can communicate with almost anyone.

2.) I was about to get into the second thing there. I AM FINALLY ABLE TO SPEAK SPANISH! I was on splits this week with an elder named Elder Giles, and I was the only one of us two who could speak Spanish and English. He's unable to understand. I had to speak to all of our appointments that day, and I finished the day having gained 2 references, given 2 lessons with a member, and 2 lessons to less actives. All me.

The Lord has blessed me in more ways than I can count to prepare to speak Spanish. He has given me more than anyone could ever hope for to be able to learn this language, and now, I can speak it pretty fluently, and understand almost everything. I still mess up here and there, but for the most part, I'm now able to speak Spanish.

I hadn't ever thought about it before, but the Lord has seriously prepared me to speak Spanish. He gave me my ability to memorize, my Father (you pretty much saved my life on my mission), my school teachers, my gift of imitation (most people that I've met so far on my mission cannot speak like natives, and most of the native Spanish speakers here say that I speak nearly like I've spoken it my whole life). The Lord has been doing everything He can my entire life to make sure that I could speak Spanish right now. It's been only 2 months since I entered the field, and I'm already able to speak my mind (kinda).

That's all for today! I gotta get a couple more things done on the internet, so I'll cut this one short.

I love you all. I pray for you every day, and I want all of you to know how much joy this work brings.

Pictures:

1.) We had another baptism this week! Her name is Sister Linda Piceno Solis. She's really awesome, and it's my first baptism that I actually knew the person! I was really happy to finally be able to perform the ordinance with her and help her take the steps necessary to progress further in the gospel!

2.) A small chihuahua that reminds me of Simba. He acts just like him, and follows me around the house of the member. Love this little guy.

3.) Picture of me and my trainer, his trainer and the new Elder that his trainer is training.

That's it! See you all later!

Elder Carter