Monday, October 7, 2013

3 MONTHS!

I'VE BEEN ON MY MISSION FOR 3 MONTHS ALREADY. WHAT IS HAPPENING. I WAS TOLD IT WAS A LONG TIME. SOMEONE TELL ME MY WATCH IS WRONG!

But seriously, there's a lot I have to say, and only about 13 minutes, so I'll try to type as fast as I can.

1.) General Conference in Spanish hurt my brain. I really didn't want to listen to any more Spanish after it, but dang, I understood a LOT more than I thought I would.

2.) I found out that I actually have a VERY VERY VERY high chance of training a new missionary after I finish my training. I'M MIGHT BE A SENIOR COMPANION WITH ONLY 4 MONTHS ON MY MISSION. HOW WILL I SURVIVE?

3.) One of our Investigators, his name is Agustin, had an experience with the PdS (Palabra de Sabiduria/Word of Wisdom). He told us (remember, this is all in Spanish.) that he works a nighttime job, and before, when he drank coffee, after about 3 or 4 hours, he would drink another, and then another after another 4 hours or so. When he decided to live the PdS, he told us that he was NEVER tired. He drank water and that was it, and NEVER grew tired. That was such a testimony builder to me that this is the truth. God will do whatever it takes to help us bring people to him.

4.) Richard G. Scott speaks Spanish. We heard his voice speak Spanish during General Conference. Talk about weird.

5.) EVERYONE HERE DRINKS COCA COLA. THAT'S LIKE THE ONLY SODA ANYONE BUYS. There's other sodas, but there's like, 5 or 6 displays of Coca Cola everywhere, and maybe 1 of other sodas. It's so annoying. It's like, super gross too.

I wanted to write a little bit about the spiritual experiences that we've had, because I've mostly not sent any, so here we go:

1.) Agustin's experience above. (couldn't wait for that one. That was just awesome.)

2.) One of the old ladies here (all the old ladies are so nice. I really feel terrible when I show up because I'm not able to help them more than give them a blessing or get something on top of a fridge) named Hna. Gomez told us that her only desire is to live long enough to see the Temple in Tijuana finish, and serve the Lord in it. I don't care what anyone else tells me, I will return one day after my mission to see her dressed in white serving the Lord. I left her house that night in tears because of how incredibly sincere and faithful that woman is. She made me want to be much better than I am.

3.) One of the families that we visit named Fam. Leonor, has a friend named Manuel that is a non-member, but very religious. He is a devout Catholic, but open to other religious beliefs, and is looking for God. One night, Elder Ponce and I were headed to an appointment at around 7:00, and Elder Ponce and I stopped at an intersection.

"I really don't feel like we need to visit Fam. Solorio." He told me. (REMEMBER. THIS IS IN SPANISH. I'm just saying that to make myself feel proud. :D)

"It's what we scheduled. Don't you think we should follow it?"

"I just don't feel like we should. I think we should visit Fam. Leonor." (We were pretty close to their home.)
The instant he said that, I felt like we needed to go there as well.

"Nos vamos." I said.

During the past like, MONTH, we have been trying and trying to contact Manuel, and never had success. We showed up to their home and guess who was in there?

Manuel. I'm so glad that Elder Ponce was able to follow the Spirit and be guided to that home to find our investigator. It made me rethink just walking blindly, and try to listen for any promptings or feelings that I have.


Finally, I just want to say this to everyone who's reading:
I am a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. As a representative of that church, I am also a representative of Jesus Christ. My purpose is to invite others to come closer to Christ by helping them receive the Restored Gospel. If you want to learn more, or if you have any questions, which include questions such as "Who am I? Why am I here? Where did I come from? What happens when I die?" I can answer these questions, and so can other missionaries of this church. If you want to know the answer, contact the missionaries in your area.

Okay, I just wanted to put that out there for anyone who may be reading and are not members. It's important for them to remember why I'm here.

Thanks, everyone, for writing me and asking questions. I absolutely LOVE answering them for you. It makes me feel like I'm sharing my mission with you guys!

One thing more and I'm out:

When you have a lot of questions, make it easier for both you and I and do this:
1.) How many times a day do you eat waffles?
2.) Are you of the house of Hufflepuff?
3.) What kinds of shoes are the best to sniff polar bears?
etc.

That way, I can just number my answers and print your email to read later! Thanks so much!

Be safe, love you all, and don't forget to read, pray, and SHARE the Gospel.

Elder Carter